onsdag 22. februar 2017

The Joy of Snail Mail

A few weeks ago I had a terrible migraine. What cheered me up that day was a postcard from a friend in the United States. Sometimes it's the small things that matter, even something as simple as a postcard waiting for the reciever in the mail box.


For me, since I've hand pen friends for over 15 years, it is a certain joy in both sending and recieving letters and/or postcards. There is something about sitting down reading what your friend has written and taking the time handwriting something in return. In this fast paced reality that a lot of us live in, I find it a bit soothing and relaxing having some nice letter sets in front of me while I write a letter. At the moment, I'm lucky enough to have pen friends from several continents and I do find it interesting to learn about the different lives through snippets written down on a piece of paper. Another good thing about writing handwritten letters is that you need to slow down and actually THINK when you write that letter, so it is in a sense a pratice of mindfulness, while you at the same time get the chance to make someone get a smile on their face when they see that your letter/postcard is in their mail box (and hopefully sooner or later you are the one standing there smiling by the mailbox).

But how do I get pen friends, you might ask? Well, there's a lot of options. Facebook groups are one place, but some of the web sites where I've been fortunate enough to get some long lasting pen friends from are Sendsomething.netSwap-BotPostcrossingPostcard United and A Month of Letters Challenge. Feel free to check those web sites out if you're interested.

Do you have any pen friends? If so, what do you like about having them?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar